Monday, October 16, 2006

#3 Read Any Good Books Lately?

I have, unfortunately, lost both my own father and my mother in law in two different, but both deadly, lung diseases for the past two years. The book I want to present here is called “Easy Way to Stop Smoking”.

When it comes to reading books I’m really lost. The only books I read nowadays are a part of my non-fiction course literature. When trying to read a fiction book I just can’t focus. It seems like my power of concentration is just enough to read the school books, nothing else. Anyway, since I can’t remember which fiction book I read last time I would like to recommend a book that actually might save lives; “Easy Way to Stop Smoking” by Allen Carr.

This book turns to a special target group in the first place, the smokers. But even if you don’t smoke, you might probably know someone that does. It’s never wrong to give a little hint about the existence of this book.

Easy Way to Stop Smoking” gives a different view of smoking and the craving it causes. There are many smokers who have managed to quit their vice after reading this book and actually felt relieved and happy about it, even from the first day! I’ve managed to quit too. But I am embarrassed to admit that I have been smoking...

The book is written in a way which makes it easy to read. And surely, a book such as this must be easy to read, or else no one will have the energy to read it through. Sometimes Allen Carr’s words feel a bit nagging, but then you have to remember that it's a part of the plan – To brainwash the “little monster” out of your head! Does it sound interesting? Well, smoker or not, you can buy the book and read it yourselves or lend it to your smoking mum, sister, friend or colleague.

What’s quite fascinating is that the author, Allen Carr, used his own method to quit smoking. He is now since the past 20 years a non-smoker after have been smoking for 33 years. The last years he could smoke up to 100 cigarettes his worst days. That’s both disgusting and impressive.

Here's a thought if you're a smoker – I know that you haven’t planned to smoke your entire life, but just make a visual picture of your too early funeral and your beloved’s tears when the organist plays your favourite psalm. It's hard to be a relative then - I know.

There are both Swedish and English editions of "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" available; their isbn numbers are 9197449105 and 0572032900 respectively. The price is about € 10.

//Maria

2 comments:

Monica Johansson said...

I fully agree with daniel that the cover gave a serious impression, although I do not find the cover very interesting.

I am very sorry to hear about your father and mother in law, and I understand the importance of this book to you. I convinced my own father to give up smoking after years and years of nagging. I was both overwhelmed and surprised when he finally stopped. The reason for my continous nagging was that two of my cousins lost their father due to the consequences of his lifestyle of smoking and drinking.

As you might have guessed, neither I am a smoker, and at the moment I do not have any close friends or family who have a serious problem with smoking, but I will keep this book in mind the next time I notice alarming amounts of cigarettes ends in an ashtray somewhere!

The Teacher said...

Maria,

This is my first comment yet on your blog entries, and let me make it clear right away that I enjoy reading your texts! When reading the first and second entries, I thought I ask you to stop using colors for emphasis, but now, when having read the third entry, I have become somewhat accustomed to the colors. I actually find myself looking for the next colored word with my periphereal vision, thus wanting to read on to see why you have chosen to color the next word or phrase. And why you have chosen a specific color. To make a long story short: in a blog like this I actually think your colors help to differentiate your text from that of others, but in a more formal context, in a published magazine, one emphasizes words very sparingly and never with color.

The real gripe I have about the text is the transition from the information about the sad demise of your relatives to the statement about which book you will be presenting: "...lung diseases for the past two years. The book I want to present here is..." The jump from the very emotional statement to the in comparison trivial matter of the book report is too long.

I do think that you should mention the decease of your father and mother-in-law, it lends both strength and persuasiveness to the text, but you need to make a transition from it to the book report proper. I would also suggest that you come back to the fate of your parents towards the end, to tie the sack together and bring closure to the text.

Cheers,
Andreas