Sunday, November 05, 2006

#4 Space - the Final Frontier?

Ever since mankind travelled to outer space for the first time, people have been talking about the day when anyone can make such journeys. Most people probably thought it would happen much sooner than it did, but it is now finally a reality – At least for the rich ones…

If I would be offered one of those expensive tickets to a journey in space, without any doubt I would turn it down. My need for having total control of my own situation would surely stand in the way for enjoying such experience. The risks are too many and to big for me. Besides, my fear of flying probably doesn't limit to aeroplanes, it presumably includes spaceships as well.

But, I can very well understand the people who would accept the offer. I believe that the type of person who would like to make a journey in space today is the same type of person who also jumps bungyjump from a rusty old crane on the Mediterranean beach, parachutes without checking the parachute bag more than one time and dives far down in the sea where sharks likes to attack divers…

Well, OK, I exaggerated a bit there. What I really mean is that I think that those people who are willing to take these kinds of risks, feel that the big emotional experience and the kick they get from doing these things, are way bigger than the risk itself.

However, I really don’t belong to that category of people. Personally, I'm completely satisfied with those safe multidimensional movies that are shown at the IMAX-cinema Cosmonova in Stockholm.

//Maria

1 comment:

... said...

hello!

i like that you have emphasized the reasons with colors. :)

i would go to space if i could and it is not because i want an emotional kick. i think the difference between you and me is that i don't consider the risks before doing something.

good work! i like the text!