There are many people, not just teenagers, who are spending years of their lives with their video games. They get addicted. And actually, even though I don't play video games that much myself, I understand that there are people who just can't stop. Some of the games today are just so challenging and fun that the player just want to keep playing. Now there are also online versions of the games which enables playing live against other like-minded on internet. It makes the games even more challenging by competing with others from the whole world.
In an way it is tragic that these addicted people can't see what they are doing, that they are wasting so much time for nothing. Because when it comes to life and its true qualities, the video game offers nothing. I don't think it's easy for an addicted to wake up and realize that life can be better with just an hour of playing a day instead of 15. It will probably need a real happening that affects the player quite much to take him or her out of the addiction. Hopefully, the video games of tomorrow will be more integrated with everyday life and family.
I have been playing video games and the number one favorite of mine is "Conker: Live and Reloaded" for Xbox. I did play for hours some days, but my conscience caught up with me and made me realize that I sacrificed parts of my life for the funny squirrel in the game. A terrible feeling. I don't want to lose parts of life, but sometimes I play to enjoy life. The difference is huge.//Maria

1 comment:
Maria,
You have written a personal and quite touching entry - good job! (And I am by now rather used to your colorful way to emphasise certain points.)
One thing that I believe you could have done differently is to move the finishing anecdote, about your own brief addiction to Conker, to the introduction. Personal experiences are better placed earlier in the text, so that the rest of the text can relate to your own story.
I really like that you so forcefully take a stand for your own opinion: "when it comes to life and its true qualities, the video game offers nothing." And I must say that I to a large extent (but not fully) agree. Video games should be played as a leisure activity, not as the number one occupation in life.
Regards,
Andreas
Post a Comment