Friday, February 16, 2007

#1 University Studies

I am studying Informatics and English at the University of Karlstad. My first goal with my studies is to get a Bachelor’s degree in Informatics. I am quite convinced that I will continue to study in future, and perhaps get a Master’s degree, but when that will be I have not decided yet. For now I only plan for the nearest future.

The reason for my decision to study at university is based upon two things:

  • My personal development
  • To get a good job

I have always been curious and still am. Sometimes I am too ambitious and eager to get the answers to all of my questions, which can be a bit annoying sometimes… But I feel good when I learn new things and one of my objectives in life is to never stop increase my knowledge. To read course literature and to write exams is something I enjoy at the moment. The satisfaction I get when I realise that I have finished a course and received a higher level of knowledge is the reward.

The second reason for my higher education is that I, like most people, want to have a good job. By saying “good” I mean an interesting and stimulating job, not necessarily well paid. A nice salary would just be a bonus. Despite the bad statistics on unemployed academics I still believe that I increase my opportunity to get a job I enjoy by study at university. Especially since I already have some working experience.

No one knows if I ever get a good job thanks to my studies at university. But no one can tell anything about the future at all. The important thing is to be satisfied with life at the moment. And I am.

//Maria

No comments: